Friday, July 20, 2012

Reality?

Reality is a noun, but not a person, place, or thing. I can say I am very glad I do not have to play 20 questions to figure out this word. Reality is an idea. It is a perspective that is completely unique to each person, individual. What is reality to me, may not be reality to you. Sometimes, when a word is difficult to understand, it is helpful to think of its opposite in an attempt to understand better. The closest opposite of reality is fantasy. Fantasy is unreal, made-up, or imaginary. The opposite of all those words is real, and you should not define a word with itself. For inspiration, I often Google image search to get some ideas about what to write about. When I search ‘reality’ in google image I get a bunch of comics and funny road signs, as well as strangely enough, fish sandwiches. This indicates that people do not enjoy reality, thus the number of jokes about reality. When I search ‘fantasy’, I get many images that look really cool and many things that are commonly accepted as not real. So back to reality (pun intended), reality is something that is, not something that you think. When you think of something, that is a mental creation. As soon as you create “it,” then “it” exists, and “it” is reality. So the line between fantasy and reality is very thin, think to create. A broader sense of my reality can be defined as my life. What I am living is what I consider my reality, though my reality is clearly composed of fantasies. I tell myself untrue things all the time, and added together, those things make up a fantasy I have created for myself, but that is the life I am living. The composition of my fantasies makes up my reality. Then, I ask myself, can my fantasies be my reality, or does that make my reality a fantasy?
  Reality                                                           Fantasy

No comments:

Post a Comment