Monday, July 2, 2012

I Will Not Plagiarize

Copying another person's work and using it as my own is plagiarism. Plagiarism, a word I just learned to spell, is stealing. Stealing is wrong. If I plagiarized, I would be devaluing the source of what I plagiarized. Also, if I what I plagiarize is wrong, then I would be propagating misinformation. Plagiarism indicates that I am not able to do something by myself. Using plagiarism to complete an assignment would demonstrate a skill set I may not possess. If I used plagiarism to misrepresent myself, then I am posing as something I am not, such as an expert on a subject I know nothing about. Posing as an expert would foster a false trust in my information, which could be wrong, and then I am back to fostering misinformation. I will not plagiarize because there is no reason I should need to plagiarize; I am smart enough to succeed in this class without the help from outside sources such as copying from the internet and I have the time to do the assignments. Also, for me, the risk from plagiarizing is greater than the reward. Plagiarizing would merit an immediate failure of the class, all for saving myself less than thirty minutes of work on an assignment. The risk of failing is a much greater risk than I am willing to take. I promise I will not plagiarize because plagiarizing is wrong: it is stealing and misrepresents me.

No comments:

Post a Comment